National Reunification Day celebrates the reunification of families after separation by the child welfare system. The event was held on June 2, 2012, at the Menomonee Club in Chicago. The theme was TELLING YOUR STORIES OF SEPARATION & REUNIFICATION. The event featured:
- Welcome by Diane Redleaf, FDC Executive Director and Nationally Recognized Child and Family Advocate;
- Opening Remarks by ANDREA ZOPP, President & Chief Executive Officer of the Chicago Urban League;
- Panel of parents sharing their stories of separation and reunification moderated by Dr. Sandy Goldberg, veteran Health and Nutrition Contributor on NBC 5 Chicago and founder of A Silver Lining Foundation;
- Workshop led by author and advocate Toni Hoy: “Writing Your Story: From the Trench”;
- Workshop led by Ramona Randall and Gregory Cox, co-authors of the book, The Parents’ Get Real Guide to Getting Your Kids Back;
- Session for families led by Phyllis Rubin of the Theraplay Institute that helps build attachment and bonding;
- Children’s program, including a magician, face painters, games, and a dance performance by Trinity Irish Dancers.